In 770, Charlemagne built a powerful fortress on Fronsacs tertre (knoll). It was at around this time that "Fronciacus" (subsequently Fronsac) appeared.
In 1663, Cardinal de Richelieu acquired the land associated with the Duchy of Fronsac for his family. Ever since then, the reputation of Fronsacs wines has continued to spread. In the 18th century, the revolution in the quality of the Libourne regions wines took root here, and the flourishing international maritime trade contributed substantially to the recognition of Fronsacs vineyards as being among the finest in the Bordeaux region.
In the 18th century, Fronsacs wines enjoyed the best reputation in the Libourne area, and sold at higher prices than those of Saint Emilion and Pomerol.