Cantina Tudernum was founded in 1958 by 57 vineyard owners that came together to produce and market wine as a cooperative. Initially, Cantina Tudernum counted only a few hectares of cultivated land but grew steadily to reach 650 hectares of vineyards between 1975 and 1995. In 1995 the companys vineyard park was downsized to the current 400 hectares as part of a company-wide redevelopment plan that would mark the beginning of a new area of excellence for Cantina Tudernum.
The extensive 1970s vineyards were characterized by wide planting distances and highly productive grapevines that had been functional to a social cooperative that produced large volumes of product. At the beginning of the 1990s an important decision was made to reduce the size of vineyard park and invest in quality and technological improvements. Over 320 hectares of vineyards were planted at this time with less spacing between the vines and higher quality grapes. The change affected both the local grape varieties (Grechetto, Sangiovese and Sagrantino) and the international ones (Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay). The changes in the vineyards, the investment in pruning technologies, the decrease in production costs, and the higher quality of the grapes allowed CantinaTudernum to enter a new phase characterized by high quality and excellent value for its consumers.
In the last decade Cantina Tudernum has followed up on its mission of improving quality, investing in resources, and interpreting market demands. As the consumer market has declined over the years, and consumers began to consistently choose quality over quantity, Cantina Tudernum has adapted to meet these demands.