Boscarelli is a small, historic family Winery producing Vino Nobile di Montepulciano DOCG
Through these pages you can directly buy our wines or book a tour of our Estate .
Poderi Boscarelli is located in an historic area for production of Vino Nobile DOCG. At 300 m above sea level on the east side in northeast Montepulciano facing the Chiana Valley, Cervognano has the right natural air circulation and temperatures to provide an ideal microclimate for quality viticulture. The arrangement of its alluvial soils, rich in texture and sand, have good drainage and give considerable character and minerality to the grapes, helping confer the elegance for which our wines are known.
All these favorable environmental characteristics have always motivated our family to produce vintages that manifest the qualities already intrinsically offered by such a premier natural setting.
Sangiovese grapes are the most prevalent, covering about 80% of the plots of our estates in the best areas. On the remaining 20%, several native varieties are cultivated, including Mammolo Canaiolo and Colorino, and international varieties such as Merlot and Cabernet, always according to the climate characteristics and various soils.
Production at Poderi Boscarelli focuses primarily on Vino Nobile DOCG, which represents 80% of all of our products. Vino Nobile is our most important and oldest label. Based on the age of the grapes and their selection, different typologies are produced. Boscarelli has a total production of 100,000 bottles.
We make 50,000 bottles of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano vintage with native grapes (mostly Sangiovese, Canaiolo and Colorino). We also produce 10,000 bottles of Vino Nobile Riserva made with the same selection of grapes but picked from the oldest vineyards, which must be at least 26 years of age.
In addition, we produce 9,000 bottles of Riserva Sotto Casa from Sangiovese and Merlot grapes.
We produce 5,000 bottles of Nocio made from 100% Sangiovese grapes that are selected exclusively from a particular 3-hectare section located in an optimal position that is named Vigna del Nocio, which means “Vineyard of the Walnut Tree”. As well, some years we produce about 2,000 bottles of Boscarelli dei Boscarelli, mainly with Cabernet and Merlot grapes.
Our total production of 100,000 bottles is completed by 25,000 to 30,000 bottles of Rosso di Montepulciano Prugnolo and De Ferrari Red IGT, two young wines produced with grapes from the Vino Nobile but without aging in wood.
Following long tradition, we also produce extra-virgin olive oil and Vin Santo in very small quantities. Finally, distillation of Vino Nobile brings several hundred bottles of Grappa.
We respect and maximize the expression of our different soils and clones, recognizing they are distinctive and unique.
These principles constitute our philosophical beliefs applied to oenology.
Our commitment starts directly in the vineyard with intensive care for grapevines and continues during harvest with differentiation of grapes according to the age of plants as well as close attention to optimum ripeness and soil composition. Fermenting each selection separately, our yearly harvest produces at least 30 different cuvées. After separate aging and few weeks before bottling, they are joined in final cuts depending on their own characteristics. This process requires a lot of work but it allows for the deepest expression of the character of each plot.