HISTORY OF WARWICK ESTATE
Warwick Estate is a family-owned and run winery. Managing Director Michael Ratcliffe is the 3rd generation family member to oversee this high quality boutique operation. From 1771 till 1902, Warwick was known as the farm De Goede Sukses. After the Anglo Boer war ended in 1902, Colonel William Alexander Gordon, Commanding Officer of the Warwickshire regiment bought the historic farm. He renamed it Warwick as a tribute to his regiment and the rest, as they say, is history.
Stan Ratcliffe purchased Warwick on April 1st 1964 after an extensive search for the best terroir in the Cape. Together with his wife Norma, they soon realized the potential of the extraordinary property and began
planting Cabernet Sauvignon. The Cabernet Sauvignon vines produced high quality grapes, which were soon in demand from neighbouring wineries. Norma became more and more interested in the making of wine and began to study the subject. Soon a cellar was in place and Norma began producing her own handcrafted wines using the Warwick grapes.
In 1984 the first Warwick Cabernet Sauvignon called La Femme Bleu- the Blue Lady - was released. Norma had a natural talent for making great wines and in 1986 Warwick Trilogy was released, a Bordeaux style blend which has since become a flagship of the South African Wine Industry.