Foreign Trade Chamber of Bosnia and Herzegovina has a 100 year long tradition of existence, continual work and legal succession. The Chamber has been established in Sarajevo by the Law on Establishment and Organization of the Chamber of Trade and Crafts for BiH.
In the first Article of this Law, it has been determined such as follows: “Chamber of Trade and Crafts is established with the seat in Sarajevo and will represent the interests of trade, crafts, including mining”, and will cover “the whole territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina”.
Constituent Assembly was held on September 14, 1909 in Sarajevo Town Hall, with 58 delegates attending it.
The field of activity of this first Chamber primarily referred to deliberations on the proposals and wishes related to trade and crafts activities; making proposals and giving observations to the Government about trade, crafts, laws and establishment of different institutes for improvement of economy.
The Chamber had public authorizations as well, such as keeping a register of registered companies, issuance of protective stamps, issuing certificates on the solvency of companies, discussing companies disputes, etc.
By this Law of the year 1990, the Chamber of Trade and Crafts for BiH had been operating until 1932, when Chamber of Trade and Industry and Chamber of Crafts in Sarajevo and Banja Luka were established by Regulation on Chambers of Trade and Industry.
In December 1946, Government of Peoples Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina (PRBiH) established the Chamber of Trade and Industry by dissolving the Chamber of Trade and Industry in Banja Luka, merging its area of activity with the area of activity of the Chamber of Trade and Industry in Sarajevo.
In 1952, Trade Chamber of Bosnia and Herzegovina and Chamber of Catering Industry of BiH were established.
In March 1954, the Assembly of PRBiH established the Chamber of Agriculture, which was followed by the establishment of the Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry.
In October 1960, the Assembly of PRBiH established in Sarajevo the Chamber of Industry, Mining, Industry, Construction and Traffic of BiH.
In May 1962, the Assembly of Federal Peoples Republic of Yugoslavia (FPRY) prescribed by Law the establishment of general single Chambers of Commerce by merging the Chambers, Economic Associations and Cooperative Associations into Federal, Republic, and District Chambers of Commerce (“Official Gazette of SFRY” Nr. 22 from May 30, 1962).
By this Law, in May 1962, Republic Chamber of Commerce of Bosnia and Herzegovina was established by merging of five following chambers: Chamber of Commerce of BiH, Chamber of Catering Industry of BiH, Chamber of Agriculture and Forestry of BiH, Chamber of Mining, Industry, Construction and Traffic of BiH, and Cooperative Association of BiH.
Chamber of Commerce of Bosnia and Herzegovina and seven basic Chambers of Commerce were established by Law on Chambers of Commerce (“Official Gazette of SRBiH” Nr. 16/72 from June 20, 1972) with the Chamber of Commerce of BiH being a legal successor of the Republic Chamber of Commerce.
By Law on Association into Chambers of Commerce (“Official Gazette SR BiH” Nr: 35/77, 17/80 and 32/85), the existence of Chamber of Commerce of BiH was confirmed.
Chamber of Commerce of BiH was established by Law on Chambers of Commerce (“Official Gazette SR BiH” Nr: 33/90), i.e. the existing Chamber was to harmonize its structure and functioning with this Law.
Foreign Trade Chamber of Bosnia and Herzegovina was established by Law on Foreign Trade Chamber of Bosnia and Herzegovina (“Official Gazette of BiH” Nr: 30/01) and is affirmed as the legal successor of Chamber of Commerce of BiH.
Since its establishment in 1909 until today, the grounds of establishment, goals and objectives of the Chamber have not changed much.