The Lisini estate covers an area of 154 hectares and is located in the south of Montalcino, 1 km from SantAngelo in Colle. The favourable location of the Companys vineyards, associated with the great quality of the soil, entails an exceptional quality of the grapes and give life to one of the most characteristic Brunellos of the whole area. The vineyards, exposed to Maremma winds, have a very special climate, different from other areas of the town, with reduced rainfalls and absence of fog. The average altitude of 350 m is optimallandscape for Sangiovese, the only grape grown in the Company. Before the success of Brunello di Montalcino, the Lisini Company was well known for the Extra Virgin Olive Oil produced in the same favourable place.
The geographic location and the vineyards|exposure play a key role in the achievement of quality wine but an equally important role is played by the people who have long worked with passion in order to keep its products at the highest levels. Carlo, Lorenzo and Ludovica Lisini have cooperated for years with ever renewed enthusiasm for the promotion of their company.
According to historical archives, the Lisini-Clementi family has owned the lands in Montalcino since the sixteenth century. The estate of approximately 150 hectares surrounding the ancient farmhouse, whose tower and loggia is in typical Tuscan style, goes back to 1300.
It is the companys current core center with wine cellars and modern offices.
The family took part in military and political events which characterised this area.
In the early 1700s Captain Silvio Clementi used to live in Pecci Palace in Montalcino and bought several properties in SantAngelo in Colle, creating a lineage that would continue until the death of his last great-grandson in 1983.
Few companies and families can claim such a long period of continuous properties such as Lisini.
In 1846, the two families Clementi and Lisini joined their estates in Montalcino and Radda in Chianti by the marriage of Francesca Clementi and Lodovico Lisini.
The couples son, Alessandro, stood out as an ancient historian, numismatist and archivist. He was also mayor of Siena in 1900-1905.
In 1876, he married the cousin of the noble poet Giuseppe Giusti, Elina Paluffi. Their son, Lodovico, passionately dedicated himself to the familys property..
Lodovico inherited the properties located in Montalcino, whereas the lands located in Chianti went to his sister Emma.
Although the development of the area was very far from current fame, he immediately understood the vocation of the land, which was until that moment underestimated and began to plant and cultivate vineyards, many of which are still in production (the Capannelle for instance).
He married Caterina Ciampolini and had four children: Maria (mother of Carlo and Lorenzo), Elina, Alessandro (father of Ludovica), and Giovangualberto.
After his death in 1950, the management of the company passed to the enterprising daughter Elina, who, in 1962, became administrator and remained so until her death in 2009. Passion and tenacity always distinguished her work. She invested all her energy in the modernization of the company in the hard period of the 60s and 70s, when many people abandoned the countryside, attracted by the industrial miracle. In 1967 she took part in founding the Brunello di Montalcino Consortium, along with other 24 wineries and was its President for some time.
Currently, her grandchildren are the heirs and the successors of her work, in the name of an ancient tradition.