Our wine-making history dates back to 1844, but it really began with a red sports car in 1945.
It was a collision of hearts and minds, a collision that had been 100 years in the making – refined and distilled from two pioneering winemaking families.
When Reginald Lester Tolley rolled up to a function in his red sports car, Judith Anne Penfold Hyland was suitably impressed by the car and rather taken by the man behind the wheel. Sparks flew, romance blossomed and Penley was conceived (as a business name) in 1947 after Reginald and Judith married.
However, it wasnt until 1988 that the Penley name came to life, that it finally bore fruit, so to speak. Thats when we (the children of Reginald and Judith) decided to create our own wines – put our label on tradition.
We bought a plot of land in Coonawarra, planted cabernet grapes and called it Penley Estate.