The Valentinis family has been linked by history and personal experiences to the City of Montefalco for over one hundred years. The background is the special Umbrian region, full of history and culture, where the act of every farmer is full of folk wisdom, simplicity, passion and sacrifice. The philosophy is influenced by the histories of men working in the fields, surrounded by the hilly landscape of rare beauty, where vines encircle the round forms of the earth.
Since 2002, the Valentini family has returned to revitalize this environmental and cultural heritage creating Bocale, a company created to build on that old passion for wine passed down through the generations. Bocale is the dialect term used to indicate the two-liter jug of wine or oil, but, above all, the name by which this Montefalco family has always been known.
The productions of Montefalco Rosso and Montefalco Sagrantino are authentic expressions of an innovation in the tradition, where the fruits of nature are mixed with the perfection and simplicity of human gestures.
Central elements of the philosophy behind Bocale wine is the respect given to environmental cycles and the hand-crafted process that makes the wine such a natural product full of personality.
Main characteristics of production:
- The wines are all natural, homemade with an artisan process that reflect the regional characteristics;
- The vineyard is treated with the technique of “inerbimento” with organic and
mineral fertilizer without the use of chemical products or herbicides;
- The fermentation takes place exclusively with native yeasts;
- The wine isnt treated with microfiltration, and thermal stabilization;
- The ageing takes place in French oak barrels;
- The wines are sold only after a sufficient aging in the bottle;
- The energy used for the entire production is from renewable sources, through a
- The company covers 9 acres, 5 of which are vineyards and has an average annual production of 25000 bottles.