Tamboerskloof Wines - Kleinood G de Villiers

P.O. Box 12584, 7613 Stellenbosch
Blaauwklippen Road, 7600 Stellenbosch
South Africa
Telephone +27 21 8802527
Fax +27 21 8802884
office@kleinood.com

This company is co-exhibitor of
Wines of South Africa

Hall map

ProWein 2018 hall map (Hall 9): stand B28, stand D34

Fairground map

ProWein 2018 fairground map: Hall 9

About us

Company details

Tamboerskloof is once again an integral part of the de Villiers family history as well as that of Cape Town and the Boland. The name Tamboerskloof  means the valley (kloof) of the drums (tamboer).

The Dutch settlers immigrated to the Cape in 1652 to farm with fruit and vegetables to supply the Dutch East Indian Company ships on their way to the east. Lookout posts manned with spotters were established on the hills and mountains around the Cape peninsula. The first spotter was placed where the suburb of Tamboerskloof lies today. These spotters drummed the message of an approaching ship from one lookout post to the next until the farmers in the surrounding valleys heard the drums and proceeded to harvest their crops and hasten to Cape Town harbour with their wagons in order to meet the ship on arrival.

Before moving to the Boland, Gerard, Libby and their two children, Spicer and Katharien, lived in this Cape Town suburb for 25 years. Thus, with the fondest memories and the need to acknowledge the happy years they had spent there, they named their wine Tamboerskloof.

More Less