APELLATION: DOCa RIOJA. (Qualified Denomination of Origin 'Rioja). The higest quality rating of Spain. Sub-area: RIOJA ALTA.
- 6 Generations family winery.
- Since 1850.
-The innovation to control the fine wine elaboration and the family traditions are combined in Bodegas Quiroga de Pablo in order to obtain unique wines.
- "Calado": underground cellar, hand excavated several centuries ago.
- Concrete tanks.
- Different plots throughout the RIOJA ALTA area.
- 100% own vineyards.
- Sustainable vituculture.
- Altitudes vary between 1600 and 2300 feet (500-700 metres).
- Soils: chalky-clay, ferrous-clay, gravel-stones.
- Low-yielding soil facing in a direction that produces high quality grapes.
- We craft wines that represent the complexity and essence of the Rioja Alta terroir.
- Careful use of sulphites and low intervention wine making .
- After the aging in oak barrels, we matured the red wines in concrete tanks in the cool and undisturbed depths of our underground cellar ("calado").
CLIMATE - GEOGRAPHY:
- RIOJA ALTA is a part of the Upper Ebro river Valley, the climate is mainly Atlantic.
- Wide thermal amplitude between day and night, the result is grapes with excellent level of color, acidity and complex aromas (fruit and spices).
- The northern border is determined by the Sierra Cantabria mountain range. 1000 m high. Natural barrier of humid Atlantic winds.
- The southern border is determined by the Sierra de la Demanda mountain range. 2500 m high. Blocking the Mediterranean influence.