The origins of the Biondelli family are to be found in the city of Piacenza (a town in the North of Italy) where the family was part of the city aristocracy during the period of the ancient Duchy of Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla.
Strongly involved in the silk trade and owner of considerable estates in the region of Piacenza as well as in the bordering Duchy of Milan, the Biondelli family was also involved in the administration of the city under its different rulers with its members serving as treasures of the community for three generations (from 1737 to 1804).
It was with Giuseppe Biondelli, born in 1890 in Pesaro, in the centre of Italy where a branch of the family had moved following the national unification of Italy, that the path of the Biondelli family came to cross the territory of Franciacorta.
After serving as a young diplomat in China (Shanghai and Hong Kong) and as Consul General in the Principality of Monaco as well as Liverpool, Berlin and London during the challenging years that preceded the Second World War, Giuseppe Biondelli arrived in Franciacorta following his marriage with Clementina Maggi di Gradella.
It was, in fact, due to his wife deep love for this region (the Maggi family had ancient ties with Franciacorta) that he decided to purchase in Bornato the villa and the rural estate which had once belonged to the Counts Fè d'Ostiani.
A decision supported by his personal appreciation of the beauty of Bornato as well as by the proximity with the residence of Count Aymo Maggi, founder of the legendary "Mille Miglia" car race, who was cousin to his wife Clementina.
Upon being appointed Ambassador, Giuseppe Biondelli chose Bornato as his family's summer retreat and developed his rural estate with the implantation of the first vineyards.
Giuseppe's son, Carlottavio Biondelli, strong of a longstanding personal commitment to the agricultural sector, decided to further expand the tradition of vine cultivation on the estate and to develop the wine cellar as it currently stands by refurbishing the 16th century farmhouse located in the heart of the rural estate.
Today Carlottavio, with his wife Mariella and his sons Francesco and Joska, runs the wine business with the same passion and devotion that through time has always denoted all of the members of the Biondelli family.