JSC Teliani Valley was founded in 1997 on the basis of “Teliani Winery of Vintage Wines”, which was built in 19th century in Tsinandali, in the neighborhood of Telianis vineyards. Tsinandali, due to peculiarities of its soil and microclimate, has always been the center of Georgian viticulture. Here in 1886-1887, at the place of the old wine cellar and winery of Prince Alexander Chavchavadze, a two-storey, 150 thousand-bucket winery was built by the decree of the Russian Emperors brother Michael Romanov. In 1891 Mossano, French winemaker from Bordeaux was invited to this cellar.
Mossano worked in Georgia for 9 years. He was first who introduced the European wine making technologies to Georgia from local vines. With his initiative various French grape species were brought to Georgia and cultivated. From all the foreign varieties Cabernet-Sauvignon, cultivated on Teliani Valley appeared to be the best. Mossano made Teliani wine from this grape. He send the first bottle to Emperor in Petersburg. The bottle had white paper attached saying “Cabernet-Sauvignon, From Teliani Valley 1893, Antoin Mossano”.
Emperors surrounding liked the wine very much. It was Mossano and wine Teliani, that made famous this small Valley situated on the fertile land of Kakheti. One can find Teliani and other Georgian-French wines and brandy of different harvests in old cellar of Tsinandali…
More than a century has passed from the first harvest of Teliani, legend about Mossano has faded away, however, one thing has remain unchanged, this is Teliani Valley, under the name of which Georgian wine has been produced for more than a century.