A cellar, a hill: a great story to tell
A date, 1870, and a coat of arms engraved on a vault in the oldest part of the cellar in Barolo. An important starting point summarizing years of history, passion for the hills of Barolo, hard work and devotion to the land that has offered us so much. In the XIX century Giovanni Rinaldi intuitively understood the potential of this farmhouse on the hill planted with vineyards and decided to buy it. After him his children and grandchildren passionately guided the company handing it down generation after generation. The current owners are Paola and Piera Rinaldi, Giovanni’s great granddaughters.
In those initial decades of wine making Barolo was the protagonist in our cellar, bringing together history and tradition. These two focal points were successfully introduced all over Italy by Michele Rinaldi (one of Giovanni’s four sons) at the beginning of the XX century. His passion made the brand of our winery strong. In 1922 the brothers parted ways and the winery continued under the name of Francesco Rinaldi, after the youngest son of Giovanni. He made sure that bottles of Barolo Cannubbio and Barolo Brunate were present on the tables of those who wrote history, for example in 1949 at the celebrations in occasion of the Italian entry into the North Atlantic Treaty. A clear sign of how dedication to the Langa made its wine a protagonist.
In the sixties Luciano and Michele, sons of Francesco, continued the family activity making the company grow steadily. And that’s what has happened until today because when Paola and Piera took over command in the nineties, they decided it was time for a more modern approach and internationalized sales; the wines of Francesco Rinaldi started to conquer foreign markets of which the USA is today the most important one, followed by Northern Europe and part of the Far East. The philosophy of our company, a blend of Barolo, history and tradition is still inspired by the hill that had charmed Giovanni Rinaldi two centuries earlier.