Valtellina Superiore D.O.C.G.
VINEYARDS AND GRAPES: our vineyards are located in the Valtellina Superiore D.O.C.G. wine-growing area; 50% of them are in the sub-zone known as "Valgella", while the other half are in the sub-zone called "Sassella".
The most important grape-variety is Nebbiolo, locally known as "Chiavennasca". The Nebbiolo grapes account for 95% of the harvest. The remaining 5% is made up of minor grape-varieties: Rossola, Pignola and Brugnola.
The average grape yield per hectare is about 65 quintals. According to the law, we are allowed 80 quintals per hectare.
VINIFICATION: LE STRIE winery produces a wine known as Valtellina Superiore D.O.C.G.
In the vinification method, which is the same every year, grapes coming from "Sassella" and "Valgella" sub-zones are treated differently.
Sassella grapes are hand-harvested using boxes containing about 25 kg each. The boxes arrive, as soon as possible, at the winery where grapes are put through the de-stemmer and crusher.
The crushed grapes are pumped into a stainless steel tank where alcoholic fermentation takes place. The maceration time lasts about 8-10 days. At the end of the fermentation process the wine is transferred into medium size oak barrels.
"Valgella" grapes are accurately selected and hand-harvested in small boxes containing up to 4 kg each, partially dried for about 25-30 days and vinified following the same process as "Sassella" grapes.
Once the fermentation is finished, the two wines are blended. The ageing process lasts at least 12 months inside medium size oak barrels, then nine more months in bottles.
The yield wine/grape is about 60% (according to the law, we could be allowed 70%).
Grape yield per hectar: 65 ql
Grape / Wine yield: 60 %
MAIN FEATURES OF THE WINE
COLOR: Deep ruby red
PERFUMES: Spices and liquorice
TASTE: Dry, rich texture, long
ALCOHOLIC CONTENT: 13,5 % by volume
TOTAL ACIDITY: 5,8 g/l
SUGAR: 0,17 g/100 ml
TOTAL DRY EXTRACT: 29,0 g/l
TASTING TEMPERATURE: 16-18 °C
FOOD MATCHES: Roasted red meat, game, mature cheese