History of the Wine Cellar
Marchesi di Barolo historical cellars are located in the town of Barolo, in the building overlooking the Castle of the Marquis Falletti. It is here that more than 200 years ago a beautiful story began.
The story of a wine cellar where, in the heart of the Langhe area and protected by gentle hills, a wine was born. This wine, as the French tradition suggests, was called Barolo like the town where it was produced for the first time. No one at that time could imagine that it was destined one day to be king: the King of Wines, the Wine of the Kings.
The story begins precisely in 1807, in Paris, when the Marquis of Barolo Carlo Tancredi Falletti married Juliette Colbert de Maulévrier, a French noblewoman and the great granddaughter of the Sun King’s well-known Minister of Finance. Juliette saw the great potential of the wine made in Barolo that, after a complete fermentation and a long aging in wood, would have been able to unveil all the qualities typical of the soil and of the grape variety: Nebbiolo, powerful and austere, able to last long and to express all the characteristics of this extraordinary terroir.
In 1864, Juliette’s death marked the end of the prestigious Falletti dynasty: in order to perpetuate the Marquise’s memory and charitable work, the Opera Pia Barolo was founded and established in the beautiful Palazzo Barolo in Turin.