At the end of the first millennium under the direction of the Benedectine monks, the grape growing in Gambellara had a great impulse, abandoning the old techniques learnt from the Roman Empire times.
During the centuries the art of winemaking improved quickly, reaching the present high quality now appreciated all over the world.
In 1882 the expert Domenico Lampertico in its “Studies and news on the agrarian economy of Vicenza, Lonigo and Barbarano districts” writes about Gambellara: “we have to do a special mention to the grape growing in Gambellara, where since the high quality standards are famous all over the world.
In 1947, pushed from the will to improve the quality of their wines, 26 wine growers living in Gambellara founded the Cantina di Gambellara.
The first harvest gave a few thousand hectolitres of wine; because of the good results there was a fast increase of the vineyard growing from 40 hectares to current 650 in only a few years, owned by 365 vine growers.