The name Carretta derives from the word “car”, which means stone, so it came naturally to give the name Carretta to the nearby chalk bank that surfaces a few dozen metres from the entrance to the Estate and runs east for about a kilometre.
Records confirm that an early nucleus of cultivated lands already existed at the beginning of the 12th century, later belonging to the De Braydas, the lords of Piobesi. These plots, that lay between the Podio and Bric Paradiso in Piobesi d’Alba, were planted with vines or used to raise cattle. Two hundred years later, the De Braydas were succeeded by the Damiano family, lords of Priocca, who continued to buy up the surrounding plots and expand their property. The imposing Podio that overlooks Tenuta Carretta and the surrounding territory, a true “natural amphitheatre”, are mentioned in a document from 1594, once more confirming the winegrowing vocation of this terrain. At the beginning of the 19th century, the entire property passed into the hands of the Counts Roero, whose coat of arms still stands out at the entrance to the Estate.
Revival of the Estate began in 1985, when the Miroglio family decided to buy it and restore it to its former glory. Inspired by the beauty of the hillsides, the family immediately began producing quality wines according to respected tranditions, but also with an attentive eye on progress and new market requirements.
Tenuta Carretta is considered one of the most prestigious of the Roero and Langhe wineries, and its 70 hectares also make it one of the biggest.